Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Motherboards - How to diagnose. (and an appology)

Heres a quick solution to diagnosing problematic motherboards.

First, run a memory test, this can be downloaded from the link below.

Memory test

Make a bootable CD, then simply boot your machine and let it run by itself.

Then if it passes, disconnect everything from your motherboard including graphics card if it has onboard graphics. Make sure this includes any front usb (case mounted) connectors.

Also disconnect everything apart from your hard drive (power cables can remain in place, just remove ribbon cables). If your having a problem now its either your hard drive, motherboard or processor. Disconnect or replace your drive depending on the nature of the problem. Now your left with a 90% chance its your board. If you have a grapchics card and no onboard graphics check how hot its getting, replace with an old PCI one or similar AGP Graphics Card to be sure.


Note: Im guessing you are only doing this becuase you have run a full operating system health test or it just fails to boot up full stop, Dont start doing this without checking everything software wise first or at least the fuse in the power cable. Im also assuming you know the PSU to be in working order.

So, Ok, you know its either the board or the processor. Now its time to way up the options. For instance, A new socket 478 board will cost about £33.00, but Socket 478 Pentium and Celerons are discontinued. They cost a few quid as well when they were around.

If you cant prove your processor isnt faulty I can offer you this safer bet.
A new Intel Celeron D 326 2.53GHz Processor and Asrock 775I65GV skt 775 Motherboard for £69.00, 1 year warranty.

Just thought you would like to know :)

Also I need to make an appology for my bad spelling. I have decided to sacrifice good grammar for content! I cant type up a blog every day and spell check it as im the only Techi here at AK Manchester my days are very busy. Thats right, I cant be bothered to install Microsoft Office on this computer.

Its been a whole day now since the word "Football" has been mentioned to me or in my presence. This pleases me.

A friend of mine said he saw a t-shit with "Geek" written on the front of it. Apparently it also said "No I wont fix your Fecking Computer" on the back.

If only I had a choice....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home